Here’s a collection of mishaps from the road for the folks who regularlyÂ admonish me to write a book. Â Ain’t nobody got time for that!
May armchair travelers be entertained.
May fellowÂ globetrotters be saved the growing pains of doing it firsthand!
Bad Decisions: Deadline Races
My nasty habit of over-achieving and endless optimism often join forces just moments before I’m due at events, airports, and train platforms…
- Why Nothing is Ever on Time in the Philippines
- When You Don’t Have a Smartphone in Portugal
- Why I Shoulda Bought a New Towel
- What Not to Do Before a Wedding
When traversing foreign lands, being up on your game is sometimes impossible. Â Just when you think you’ve got everything under control…
- The Perils of House Hunting in Bali
- When Christmas WentÂ Legit Pagan
- Unruly Neighbors on a Bewitched Island
- Kidnapped & Torturedâ€¦ by Fate
- BartendingÂ With Children In New Zealand
- Scammed at 13,000 Feet
- An Unlikely Bedfellow
- The Relationship Test Every Couple Should Take
My radical audacity often leads to incredible experiences. Â Like being invited into a Maori marae, getting to join a beekeeping classÂ on harvest day, helping build an earth home in rural Thailand, and amazing hitchhiking throughoutÂ the world.
However, that same fearlessness also lands me in dangerous, sometimes life-threatening, situations. Â Someday I’ll write up theÂ stories about accidentally rafting a flood-stage-class-five river, ripping my PCL while racing a train on my bike, and saving my boyfriend from smoke-inhalation death. Â For now you can read about:
- The Scariest Day of My Life
- Chasing a Tropical Typhoon
- Foolhardy Teens Climbing Mountains
- Travel in a Bear-Infested Wilderness
- Trip to the Cambodian Emergency Room
- Trying to Take My Parents Down With Me
- Why You Should Let Frogs Go
When Budget Travel Goes Badly
I’m a huge fan of budget travel. Â However, it’s not all roses. Â Here are a few times a cash-splash would have been nice:
- Budget Hotel Nightmare
- Shower Shutdown
- Bedding Down in a Brothel
- The Time I Paid Triple the Fee I Tried To Avoid
Hitchhiking isÂ a priceless way to meet locals and be part of their lives. Â It took a lot of guts to give it a try. Â I’m not as worried about being murdered as I am standing on the side of the road for hours being rejected by car after car. Â Luckily, that only happened once! Â Other than that, all experiences have ranged from fun to freaking fantastic!
- The Driver Wasn’t Drinking… I Think
- Picked Up By Vampires
- Our Steel Brokering Saint
- The Most Cherries Ever
Like what you read here?
Never miss an episode!Â
Want to keep reading?
Check out theÂ latest stories.
Love to read? Â Want to travel vicariously?Â
Start with these:Â
or see all my must-reads!
Which story did you like best? Â Want to share yours?